Perceptions is a 501(c)(3) non-profit community organization that offers educational, social and networking opportunities for residents of the Tri-Cities (Midland, Bay City and Saginaw) and surrounding areas. Perceptions strives to foster a positive image for the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender community and our allies. Our Board of Trustees and organizers are volunteers from the local community. All of our operating funds come from donations, fundraisers and membership dues.
Our mission is to provide inclusive educational, networking and advocacy programs for the diverse Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender individuals, allies and organizations in the community.
What We Do
- We offer discussion groups, such as our Transgender Group, which address the special needs that are found within our LGBT comunity.
- We host speakers on topics of particular interest to the LGBT community in order to enrich and empower them.
- We organize and host social gatherings to provide opportunities for people to network, develop friendships and nurture suppoort of one another.
- We update our community on events and news that affects their lives.
- We advocate at a grass roots leve to influence officials with our public service campaigns, media exposure, educational programs and letter writing.
- Through our charitable work, we help eliminate negative sterotypes by offering opportunities to support our local community, which helps them, and builds strong allies.
- Through education, we strive to promote understanding and increase tolerance in society. We communicate, on a personal level, the struggles that LGBT individuals often face. By putting a human face on our issues, we make it more difficult to discriminate against us.
- We welcome and appreciate the hard work and talents of all those that offer their help. Volunteers are needed in a range of involvement from specific tasks to leading committees. Just let us know your interests!